Friday 4 February 2011

Charities Collection Bags

Air Ambulance, Various Cancer and Heart Research charities etc

During a conversation with the Air Ambulance collections driver recently, he told me that he had to start work at 0730hrs in an attempt to prevent thieves from taking the bags which had been left on doorsteps for him.

Despite this he actually caught a female in the act and she surrendered the bag she was holding and several others from the back seat of her car. This occurred in Pillerton Priors about 1100hrs 31/1/11.

He noted the car number and colour and other details which I have passed on to our local police officers within minutes of our conversation.

My experience is that genuine collectors use a van of some sort, usually a large one.

Some of the genuine vans have a logo on them and others do not; and to date I have never seen a private vehicle being used for collections purposes. Given the area that genuine charities cover and the number and weight and volume of these bags I think it unlikely that any private saloon or hatchback would be equal to the task.

So, I will take a chance and report any private vehicle registration number and a description of the driver etc, that I see being used for collecting charity bags.

My first call will be to 999 and I will back this up by a second call to our local officers on 01789 444600.


From a coordinator in a nearby village.

No comments:

Post a Comment