Saturday 11 June 2011

Local Card Scam

Beware of strangers bearing maps!

Morning everyone, just wanted to let you know to be very careful with your bank cards and be aware that there is a gang of bank card thieves working in Banbury at the moment, I unfortunately fell victim to them yesterday. 

I was in Morrisons after finishing work, did a bit a shopping. When I got home I went in my purse (fortunately) and found my Debit card was missing, thinking I had been very stupid and either left my card in the card reader or dropped it in the store I phoned the store was told it hadn't been handed in and after numerous phone calls to Bank, police and manager of Morrisons found out that I had been scammed, apparently what they think happened is someone in the store somehow watches and makes note of your pin number ( I believe they call it shoulder surfing) then I was approached in the car park by an eastern European lady, with a huge map of England asking if I could help her with directions to BRADFORD of all places, whilst I was distracted someone else went into my handbag, taken card out of my purse, put my purse back without me realising a thing and away and within an hour had relieved me of £400 luckily I noticed it was gone fairly quickly otherwise they probably would have wiped me out completely, After speaking to the Manager at Morrisons he informed me that the gang were also targeting Sainsburys. So please be very careful with your pin Numbers, be aware of people standing too close and if a strange women with a huge map asks for directions just get in your car and go. Sorry for the long story but don't want anyone else to go through it, I will get the money back but its just the shock and the aggravation and Im feeling really stupid, Gullible and very angry.

These people are very clever and pray on people. I must have MUG written across my face :) Im sure they have probably moved on somewhere else now but please take care wherever you use your cards.

Please pass this on to your teams and anyone else you think may need to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment